Monday, June 22, 2009

When the light came into our house!

The title might seeming promising but this post is nothing philosophical in its content.If anything it's nostalgic. After spending a handful number of months in the Eastern part of the west(sorry I simply should say East coast of the USA :P), I have enjoyed every moment of my time here. I have to admit that I've even considered the thought of becoming an East-coaster , however self-contradicting I might sound to my good friends in saying that. With no complaints at all so far, I realised how much I missed things back home when we bought a white tubelight last night. All these days our home was lit with the so called soft-white light, which I hated. If you are from the urban populations of India and are relatively new to the US , you will definitely see what I'm talking about. I hate this soft-white light. It's everything but white. It has this yellow glow which is closer to the sepia mode of the camera. Finally last night we bought this white tubelight.And as soon as we lit it....wow I felt like I was in the living room of my home back in India :)

Silly as it may sound,it's these small things that bring back memories of good old days. The smell of the agarbathi, the aroma of Bru coffee, the samosa in Patel Groceries, an oil bath on Sunday.....the list goes on.

It's ironic how most people back home(of course I wasn't one of these 'most people' :P )hate the places they live in , stay dissatisfied and wish to escape from their surroundings.But take them away and put them in the best possible ambience and I bet ya ,they'll ask you when you are gonna send them back! That's us!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG... i cant believe you feel the way i have always felt. In fact I felt I was the only one who felt nostalgic... I got a WHITE lamp which i use especially when i am reading or dancing or doing something for myself. It reminds me of my Dad who always made sure that we do all the study only under white light..
No offense but I still don't get what makes people here like the gloomy light. I guess its just that they are used to it just like we were used to the bright white lamp.

Anjani said...

I think the same too...there can't be a reasonable explantion for the use of restaurant lamps in the living room though.

Ajitha Koduri said...

konchem ekkada konnavoo naaku kuda cheppu..I am tired and sick of yellow lights..I must have tried some 10 different so called day light bulbs..none of them giv me proper light

Anjani said...

@Ajitha dear , buy the GE tube. It will be specified as cooler light or 'daylight'. You can get it in any Wal-Mart.

Anonymous said...

Kiran,

Never been out of India so it's kind of enigmatic to me to understand the concept of Yellow Lights but I did get what you are saying.

Hmmm,there are very few People who think of returning to India after tasting the life in U S of A.My Uncle used to say "Go to US,be successful but do return to India" because he has a Son who has gone to US and never returned but only "visits" India.

K.Kiran.

Vani Vijay said...

Believe it or not the first thing i complained about USA when i landed here was about the lighting. And of course about the flagrant overuse of the electricity too. Glad to know that we share very similar ideas about the Beauty of India.

Just call me 'A' said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Just call me 'A' said...

cannot agree with you more. take an indian out of india and see the extend of desi craziness he gets :).

I do miss the white light and I have one of the lamps in my living area with that bulb so that i can switch whenever I want :). kinda used to the yellow light now :)

Hopped over from Blog - adda. very interested in the NYC blogger meet. hoping I can make it